These cell crosses were extremely common in conventual life and in private chapels. This specific cross was gifted by a canon of the collegiate church, according to an inscription engraved on the back of its base: “Gifted to the church by / Dn Vicente de Aberasturi / year 1848”. It is a wooden cross that acts as a support for a painting of the Crucified Christ, who is depicted still alive, with three nails, wearing a crown of thorns and cloth of purity. It is a sound painting that provides a fine anatomical study of Christ, most likely produced around the middle of the 17th century. The pedestal it rests on is box-shaped with chamfered sides and has inlaid motifs and metallic appliqués. It was most likely made shortly before 1848, the year in which Canon Aberasturi donated the piece.
BARTOLOMÉ GARCÍA, Fernando R.; PARDO, Diana. Restauración del conjunto de la sacristía de la catedral de Santa María de Vitoria-Gasteiz, en La restauración en el siglo XXI. Función, estética e imagen. Madrid, Árgoma Servicios Editoriales, 2009, pp. 103-112.